Wednesday, May 11, 2016



May 10, 2016 

Our devotion today was titled:  HOPE from Kathy Knutsen of Iowa.
Jeremiah 29:11 The Lord says I have a plan for you.  A plan for good and not for disaster.  A plan for a future and hope. Kathy’s gusto for mission work was to have an impact on people’s lives to fix the oooweees. She says those things are alright but what she realized was that people appreciated her for herself.  “That my presence was a gift of encouragement and value to their life.”  That was more lasting than physical fixes. Hope is something that is invaluable. It gives you peace, serenity and assurance. Mission is about being a presence and being present.  

A reflection from Joann Smith of Georgia
I confess to procrastination ... I think part of the problem is information overload. I came on this journey, not really knowing what to expect. I just knew that God was sending me for a purpose.
I have met so many wonderful people along the way and learned so much about them ... and myself.
I will say that I have friends on both sides of the immigration "fence" ... I know that many see the issue as simple as Black&White, but I now understand even more fully that it is far from simple and consists of many shades of gray.

The people who live on both sides of the border have much to offer one another and are much more alike than different. We sat around the table with folks (mainly women ... like us) from Texas and Mexico as well as other areas of the world and shared with one another. We found that the concerns of our hearts were very similar. We worry about the loss of family values, quality education for our children & grandchildren, health issues and communities that no longer come together in unity. We found that we all have similar hopes and dreams for a better future.

We looked in the eyes of mothers, fathers and children who live in fear and have risked everything to try and reach a safe haven.

We worked alongside folks who are seeking to provide comfort and hope to these children of God.
I don't have all the answers and perhaps I have even more questions than before, but I do know that God calls us to love and serve others as He loves and serves us. We are called to show compassion to those who are hurting ... that includes those who are different, those who may not look like us.
I pray that God will continue to allow me to see through His eyes. May I never forget what I have learned on this journey and may I never stop learning as long as my life journey lasts. I pray for words to speak and wisdom to know when and how to speak them when I return home.
My time with this amazing team of United Methodist Women has been filled with love, laughter and blessings beyond measure. Thank you God for allowing me to be a part of this life-changing experience.


With these words there is nothing more I can add for today.

No comments:

Post a Comment